Monday 17 February 2014

5 Tips to Get Children to Smile Naturally


Children do not know how to smile naturally so when you tell them to smile or say, 'Cheese' for a photograph you will definitely not get what you are looking for. You will most probably get the smile in the photo on the left when you actually want something more like the smile on the right.

In my previous post, 3 Tips for Taking Better Photos of Your Children, my first tip was to not tell them to smile or say, 'Cheese'. So what can you do to get them to smile naturally? Read on for what I have found works for me.

1. Get down to their level
This may not necessarily get them to smile but remember that you are much taller than they are, in some cases double their height. So get down on the floor to their level. This will immediately give you a whole new perspective.
In this photograph I was lying on the floor flat on my stomach.
If I had been standing up I would have had a photograph of the top of his head and would have completely missed this great expression. The same for the photographs below.


2. Catch them Unawares
As a parent you have a real advantage over us professional photographers. When you bring your family to me to photograph I have to work at getting them relaxed and comfortable with me. I'm not going to get a natural smile if they think I am not ok. 
But as parents your children are already relaxed with you so catch them unawares. While they are playing happily, grab your camera, make sure your settings are correct and get down on the floor near them and then get their attention. You will get a photograph to treasure.

3. Be Silly
Now this one doesn't come naturally to all but it is worth it. Pull faces, jump up and down, make weird sounds, threaten them with the tickle monster, tell them you are coming to find their laugh button, make jokes…
So Granny does not look exactly like a model but after all that fun and silliness I got this photograph...
Baby is adorable and Granny is radiant.

4. Forget the Rules
Are children happy when we are angry with them? Generally not; so avoid getting angry when they do not do what you want. I know how frustrating it can be. My eldest daughter is very difficult to photograph and sometimes I want to throw my hands up in despair and I'm the professional! So…when it is not going to plan, walk away and try again later. 
You want them to look at you with laughter in their eyes so make them laugh! Fun is the name of the game!

5. Say, "I love you."
Something that I have found works like a charm when things are not working out is to get my daughter's attention by calling her quite sharply (as though I'm about to get angry) and then breaking into a big grin and saying with great feeling, "I love you!!" Without fail she breaks into a big smile and her eyes sparkle.
I was off camera to the left and my husband took the photo with my phone. I love it. We have this idea that for the photo to be a good one the subject needs to always look into the camera but with children that does not always happen. I love this one because, even though she did not look at the camera, she was looking at me with that cute little look on her face. 

6. Tell them to NOT smile
I know I said 5 tips but I had to include this one.
Warning: This one only works if you have a fun loving, happy go lucky child who understands a little bit of teasing. If you have a more serious child it will backfire.
If you are getting those weird, forced smiles you can tell them with a big smile on your face and a laugh in your voice to not smile. Normally they will try very hard to not smile and then burst into laughter and give you a really beautiful smile or laugh.

I hope these tips will help you out with your family photographs and they will be loads of fun and you'll get great pictures even if only with your phone!

Have a great week!
Today is gone tomorrow. Remember now. Forever.







Sign up logo



0 thoughtful comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rosalind Julia Photography

Website Design by CoffeeShop Designs